My life in a blog

IMBA Chinese Track student at The University of South Carolina, Moore Business School, I'm currently living in Columbia, SC and traveling all over the place

Check out my other blog: My life in pictures http://akillianopix.blogspot.com or better check out my Flickr account www.flickr.com/photos/adifromusa/

Tuesday, December 12, 2006

The last 100 meters or the last mile?

The first is the Romanian expression and the second is the English translation! Basically they all show the same issue: the CORE is almost over. There are 3 major obstacles in the way:
1) Finance - Dr. Kwok
2) Managerial Accounting - Dr. Jackson (he promised to bring us doughnuts and coffee before the exam to make the paper sweeter)
3) Information System - Dr. Kettinger (hmmm... I rest my case here)

Anyways, I'm now looking back to the Finance subject. Before I didn't even know how Finance looks like, I didn't even know what to expect from it. Basically, all I knew is that it was all about money $$$$
Q: What do I know now? A: "Not so much" (quoted from the famous Borat movie)

Actually, I realized that compared to 1.5 months ago I found out quite a bit of things: like to diversify your portfolio to minimize risk, the relationship between risk and return, CAPM, WACC, evaluate cash flows, Net Present Value... The second finance class taught me (hopefully) to take into consideration risks (Exchange rate, Economical and Transactional), how to asses them, how to pick the weapons to defeat them and finally implement the changes.
We learned also ways to make money by means of speculations (risky stuff) or arbitrage (not risky, but not available to us, mortals). OK, so you can't make money that easy, but you can hedge future receivables and payments. The final part dealt with International Capital Budgeting (you are a multinational company and you want to evaluate international projects... so you put a lot of work into it and bang bang ... like "black magic"... you get the answer).

It was an interesting class and along with a couple of others I truly believe it will impact my future career decisions.

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home