My life in a blog

IMBA Chinese Track student at The University of South Carolina, Moore Business School, I'm currently living in Columbia, SC and traveling all over the place

Check out my other blog: My life in pictures http://akillianopix.blogspot.com or better check out my Flickr account www.flickr.com/photos/adifromusa/

Tuesday, October 17, 2006

CEO of Fortune 500, Jack Welch

It seems that GE (General Electric) is different than what I thought: although it is still largely believed to be a multinational American company focused of manufacturing, over 60% of the revenues comes from services. "The opportunity for growth in product services is unlimited," Jack Welch, GE's symbol and brand said.
Born in 1935, he completely changed GE's stragety serveral times during his 20 years position as CEO thorough innovative management strategies and leadership style. He is seen to be the success behind the GE profits for all this period.


Some people argue that he was given to much credit for the sucess, showing that actually individual managers made this possible (example: Gary C. Wendt, chariman of GE Capital contributed with 40% of the company's total earnings). I believe that, but then there is no proof that this would've happened if it hadn't been for Welch, which my friend Anand is comparing with Alexander the Great.

There is another research I quickly conducted today, while I was waiting to get my haircut in "Great Tips", showed that about 95%(roughly, with no calculations) of all Fortune 500 CEO's were unsuccesful in their personal life. Filled with divorces, kids splattered everywhere due to multiple wifes, they were not able to balance business with family. Welch, having 3 wifes and more than 4 children, fits this pattern also. Does that make them unsuccesful ? Well... to some cultures, the answer would be YES. To others, like the American, it would be "the dream". SO... WHAT TO DO IN LIFE?

My dream would be to learn from these succesful guys and manage to balance family and business in life to become sucessful according to my books.

3 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

This comment has been removed by a blog administrator.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Kate said...

That is the best use of the word "splattered" ever.

You should join the women MBAs. We apparently are going to talk about things like that all the time.

Maybe Mr. Welch needed to read The Goal.

2:52 PM  
Blogger Adrian said...

Kate this is what I truely believe, is not like I take women's side...

3:57 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home