My life in a blog

IMBA Chinese Track student at The University of South Carolina, Moore Business School, I'm currently living in Columbia, SC and traveling all over the place

Check out my other blog: My life in pictures http://akillianopix.blogspot.com or better check out my Flickr account www.flickr.com/photos/adifromusa/

Sunday, February 18, 2007



It has been a fun 8 month is South Carolina. I've been through a completely set of new experiences. Coming from an engineering background and studying business is was not very easy.



To be honest, before starting this program I didn't realize how business is actually part science and part feel. I more than always saw it as mostly gut or just a chain of good decisions.
Being in a foreign country, studying, living and communicating there brings so many advantages.
+ meet new people = it is wonderful to meet people different from you, who have other backgrounds, experiences and ideas. Most of the times, you get attached to these people, share your ideas and connect faster than you think you would be capable to.

+ it was a great time of learning and studying. The immersion into new subjects, new discussions and new perspectives on business issues was new to me. For once I could change my point of view from a simple consumer perspective to a more analytical, focused on why, what price and where companies promote and sell products.

+ started to study Chinese is still one of the areas that is very new. Even though I had 1 month worth of training, I am able to understand some basic simple phrases, and hopefully able to reproduce with good clarity the five tones. In the same time , I realized how different can be speaking, listening, writing, reading and communicating with someone else in a completely new language. It has never happened to me before to study a language that I have completely no idea about. Everything has a start...

+ in the meantime, I realized that I don't have a great business idea yet, but I have an angle, an orientation to find one and hopefully be able to implement. I am also lacking the experience to start a business right away, I need to work more, to gain more experience so I can limit the risks. Sometimes I just get a new business idea or something that is not there yet. Unfortunately, I can't asses right away if it would be a profitable one, implementable or how to do it and what it is its final use. I just have an idea and for a minute I believe in it. During the Lufthansa flight, I was thinking of a website to categorize different flights and airlines based on the service they are offering so next time someone would go online and buy tickets, they know what to expect. But would this be helpful? Would it be profitable? Would it be a good idea? Who knows...



It's been an intense 8 month and even though I don't know what I want to do yet in life, I know some things I don't want to do.



Now, moving to Beijing seems to be a crazy step. And so it is... I still can't believe I will be living in China for the next one year and a half. I think one doesn't realize it until you are in a flight as I am right now. Anyways, for these couple of days, I will be busy in at my home to get ready for the next big step... CHINA.
The time in South Carolina had an end, Romania time will have one and China will follow with another end. I still don't know what to do in life, but I am opened to explore and ready for a new journey...



6 Comments:

Blogger Christopher said...

Good luck Adrian. I'm sure you guys will love China. I know how you feel about leaving Cola town and moving on to something new. It's pretty amazing to think that we will be gone so long.

Have safe flights and we will catch up with you in Asia.

8:51 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guey... it's good to read your thoughts… it is a good way to share what you have, and what you are. It is interesting how life can change with one decision, the one of coming to this program… I agree with you, there are many stages in life, and every stage has different sub-stages… one ends, other starts… but certainly each one of this imprints many experiences, good and bad, that shape what we are.

Baftă, la revedere! frate.
Paco

11:41 AM  
Blogger SarahHutch said...

Yes, on to the next great adventure. I'll see you in China!

2:51 PM  
Blogger Adrian said...

I will hopefully see all of you guys in China at some point or somewhere in Asia!!
I wish you all safe travels!

5:43 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Guey, Everyone is scared about some the decisions we are taking. Everyone can get confused about the crossroads. But what matters is that, when it all passed, you will look back and see that it was all worth it.

Keep writing!

Pekky

5:59 PM  
Blogger Stephanie said...

Sometimes I am shocked when I sit back and think about how lucky we are to be doing all of the things we are doing. I have been sad to "end" certain adventures, but the beauty in the the opportunities we have is amazing...

I can't believe I'm saying this...but I'll see you in China in two days!

8:52 AM  

Post a Comment

<< Home