My life in a blog

IMBA Chinese Track student at The University of South Carolina, Moore Business School, I'm currently living in Columbia, SC and traveling all over the place

Check out my other blog: My life in pictures http://akillianopix.blogspot.com or better check out my Flickr account www.flickr.com/photos/adifromusa/

Sunday, July 30, 2006

Mondavi wine, strategy and expansion

GSM = Global Strategic Management; What is this? It's a first year class that has the main purpose of showing us the different ways a company is structured and profitable in the same time. The final grade is the result of a final paper related to the wine industry which of course, we had to familiarize with (both theoretically and also practically by tasting a couple of bottles).

Anyways, this man...

gave us a hard time in coming up with a right strategy for his company. His name is Robert Mondavi and his company is the most prestigious wine producer in the US.

While reading the requirements of the final paper, I could not really foresee any real answers that I could use. What made a real difference was the group study. Amazing was the way we came up with strategy tools to use, what to look for, how to plot the wine industry structure and finally what to recommend to Robert to make his company even more prestigious!!! Although, I don't think he'll ever use our recommendations for his company, he should be thankful that we thought about him! Tonisha, Angela and I spent about 8 hours building a global strategy from scratch (no business background nor much previous business exposure in our group) as a result of industry and competitor analysis and future scenarios of the industry. We did a great job!!!

Therefore, let me conclude two things:
1) Group study is an amazing tool
2) Diversity within the group helps a lot
3) THE PROFESSOR IN THIS CLASS DID A GOOD JOB TEACHING US TO USE A STRATEGIC THINKING
(i'm sorry i ment to conclude 3 things)

Good job Dr. Roth!

5 Comments:

Blogger Kate said...

I am of two minds about this post:
1) I'm glad you decided you liked the class because I think it's great and I was concerned in your previous post that you didn't find it useful. It is harder than GL in the sense that we don't engage with it as much in the class but with this project we do and it is great.
2) I'm jealous that things have been going so well for you because our group has been having a hard time and the whole thing kind of drives me to drink. Oh well.

10:48 PM  
Blogger Anandha Kumar Deekaram said...

good Adrian.... I love GSM class I feel Strategy and Globalisation are the classes I enjoyed.. Offcourse Decision Analysis is something that we are going to use in day to day life.. :-) Accounting no comments.. The GSM project is more than grade teaches us to work in a group appreciates others talent and learn from people.... Keep up the good work ...blog regularly!! :-)

10:45 AM  
Blogger Adrian said...

Thank you guys for the nice posts. As Anand said, the class was very helpful in working within a team and try to be creative!

10:50 AM  
Blogger Kate said...

RE: accounting: Gosh, I hate to think that they might want us to walk out of there being able to use that?! I mean, I'm learning and all, but please don't ever ask me to use it in the real world.

2:03 PM  
Blogger Adrian said...

Kate, for now we just play around with these strategies and terms but later, we will have to come up with our own I think. We'll see...

10:18 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home