My life in a blog

IMBA Chinese Track student at The University of South Carolina, Moore Business School, I'm currently living in Columbia, SC and traveling all over the place

Check out my other blog: My life in pictures http://akillianopix.blogspot.com or better check out my Flickr account www.flickr.com/photos/adifromusa/

Saturday, December 01, 2007

La Multi Ani "Romania" (罗马尼亚的节日)


Just because I didn't keep up with my blogs, it doesn't mean that the life here in Beijing ever stops bringing new experiences.

Yesterday, it was Romania's National Day and here in Beijing, it was celebrated with style. The Romanian embassy put together a luncheon at The Beijing Hilton where Romanians, Chinese and other nationalities toasted for our country. There were a lot of Chinese officials, mostly military and party members. This was a sign that the Chinese-Romanian relationships are still very strong, but are based mostly on tradition and not on strong economic primacies yet.

Before this event, I didn't know any Romanians that live here in Beijing, so it was a great opportunity to meet people and find out about their reasons of being here. Moreover, I meet our ambassador, Mr. Viorel Isticioai, who is a great Chinese Language connoisseur, a well respected in the diplomatic community here.

I asked him how come the economic relationships are not as good as the traditional relationships between our two countries. He told me that now, every month there are over 1000 Chinese people that go to Romania, mostly for business, but there are not even close to this number of people that reciprocate the visit to China.
Why?, I asked... He frankly said that Romanian people have not opened their eyes to see the Chinese opportunity as vivid as the other countries see it already. Romanians still think that China is some sort of North Korea, with a communist government where the advantages are cheap labor and crappy products.
Well, it is not like that... one can only think about the news that are related to China nowadays. Think about it...

Well, Happy Birthday LuoMaNiYa!

0 Comments:

Post a Comment

<< Home