My life in a blog

IMBA Chinese Track student at The University of South Carolina, Moore Business School, I'm currently living in Columbia, SC and traveling all over the place

Check out my other blog: My life in pictures http://akillianopix.blogspot.com or better check out my Flickr account www.flickr.com/photos/adifromusa/

Sunday, March 09, 2008

Beijing sex shops, 北京成人店

From the start... the Western idea of a sex shop and the Chinese outcome of one are totally different. I remember when entering the first time in a Chinese sex shop, I was impressed that it was more than half filled with flowers and sporadically some sex related products. Therefore, the store's clients were normal couples that would stop by and buy flowers and just check some condoms out in the same time. TIC = This is China! The translation of Sex Shop in Chinese also reflects its different nature: 成人店(Adult store) or 成人保健(Adult Health Protection), the products sold inside are Birth control pills, condoms and some toys.

Now, from that time until now, this place has definitely increased the number of so called Sex Shops. On my way to work, about 10 minutes of walking, I had three small sex shops, one being open 24/7. I never paid too much attention to them until yesterday.

As I was coming back home from a haircut place, on a normal Sunday afternoon, I noticed some 20+ Chinese people gathering together. Chinese really like to gather around where something is happening, such as an incident, accident or any abnormal happening.Therefore, I went closer and noticed some men of law (police, military, etc) were tearing down the sign of a local store. Well, it wasn't any store, it was a "sex shop." After they got done with it, they went to the next one, where, with no prior notice given to the tenets they confiscated all the products and took the people in charge of the store with them. This whole operation took only about 20 minutes to complete.

Late last night, this other venue that was not affected by the incident, was closing down and going out of business as well. It used to be a very small place, opened 24h, and late afternoon yesterday, already all the signs, posters and products were gone. Things can change over night in here, one day everything is there, the next day nothings there. My true belief, is that the Government doesn't want to show this side to the foreigners who are going to be here for the Olympics, therefore saving "face". Time will tell this...

From people at work, I learned that this kind of experience is not new to China and not new to the foreigners as well. It is just one of those factors that somehow you have to embed in your business model as a possible risk. In the meantime, if you want to buy something from the Adult Shops, hurry up because you might now find it anytime soon.

Update: One of the Ex-Sex Shops just overnight converted into a legitimate small food place.

Labels:

12 Comments:

Anonymous Anonymous said...

Why did you go to Sex Shop? hmmmmm Be Safe!! :-) lol!!!

7:31 AM  
Blogger Pekky said...

HAhaha, Adrian. Creo que China quiere tener una imagen moralista!

Good entry!

Saludos desde Chicago!

Pekky

1:33 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good Sex Shop:http://www.love8668.com/
Phone:13261472598

11:15 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Hello !.
You may , probably very interested to know how one can collect a huge starting capital .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may commense earning with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you thought of all the time
AimTrust represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

Its head office is in Panama with offices everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become a happy investor?
That`s your chance That`s what you wish in the long run!

I`m happy and lucky, I started to take up real money with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper companion utilizes your money in a right way - that`s it!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and my first deposit was 1 grand only!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://ycadugumi.uvoweb.net/ewovon.html
and lucky you`re! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

8:59 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Good day !.
You re, I guess , probably curious to know how one can manage to receive high yields .
There is no need to invest much at first. You may begin to get income with as small sum of money as 20-100 dollars.

AimTrust is what you need
The firm represents an offshore structure with advanced asset management technologies in production and delivery of pipes for oil and gas.

It is based in Panama with affiliates everywhere: In USA, Canada, Cyprus.
Do you want to become an affluent person?
That`s your chance That`s what you really need!

I feel good, I began to get income with the help of this company,
and I invite you to do the same. If it gets down to choose a proper partner utilizes your savings in a right way - that`s AimTrust!.
I take now up to 2G every day, and what I started with was a funny sum of 500 bucks!
It`s easy to join , just click this link http://azufakuz.greatnow.com/yderul.html
and go! Let`s take our chance together to get rid of nastiness of the life

1:40 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Amateure Girls

Arschritze versaut

sexcams

11:37 AM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good afternoon fellas. I'm honestly into shoes and I was digging as far as something that particular model. The prices for the velcros were approximately 230 dollars everwhere. But finally I found this location selling them someone is concerned half price. I absolutely like those [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]prada sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely order these. what can you say about it?

1:51 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good morning fellas. I'm honestly into shoes and I have been looking allowing for regarding that meticulous model. The prices as regards the shoes are around 230 pounds everwhere. But completely I bring about this area selling them as a remedy for half price. I exceptionally love these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will absolutely buy them. what do you think?

4:13 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

good morning friends. I'm actually into shoes and I had been digging for the sake of that exact model. The prices seeking the velcros were all over 330 dollars on every page. But definitively I set this locate selling them as a remedy for half price. I really want these [url=http://www.shoesempire.com]gucci sneakers[/url]. I will definetly buy these. what do you think?

9:17 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

Xanax - Get Rid Of Your Anxiety http://tinypolitics.com/ - cheap xanax online Order Xanax(Alprazolam) online at low price. Generally speaking, Xanax is considered to be preferable to other medications of this kind because symptoms are generally controlled within a week of starting the medication.

6:35 PM  
Anonymous Anonymous said...

wow. its great when Beijing have sex shop i really amazed with this post. i love doing sex with sex toys. Adult Toys Australia

6:24 AM  
Anonymous Sex Shop said...

Muy buenoooo!!!!!!!

1:45 PM  

Post a Comment

<< Home